Indian Railway Zones
17 Indian Railway Zones and 69 divisions.
- The first rail in India started in 16 April 1853 between Mumbai and hane (34 KMs) by Lord Dalhousia.
- Indian Railway network is the largest in Asia and second largest in the World.
- Indian railway Board was established in March 1905.
- There are three types of rail lines in India
- Broad Gauge
- Meter Gauge and
- Narrow Gauge
- The national Rail Museum at New Delhi was set-up in 1977
- The Rail Museum in Delhi is the largest in Asia.
- The management and governance of the Indian railways is in the hands of the Railway Board.
- The Indian Railways is divided into zones, which are further sub-divided into divisions, each having a divisional headquarters. There are a total of 73 divisions.
- Railways have been divided into 17 zones and 69 divisions.
Here list of 17 Indian Railway Zones and their Headquarters and Divisions
|S.N.||Name of the Railway Zone||Zone Code||Year of Establishmented||Headquarters||Railway Divisions|
|1||Central Railway||CR||05-11-1951||Mumbai||1. Mumbai
|2||East Central Railway||ECR||01-10-2002||Hajipur||1. Danapur
|3||East Coast Railway||ECoR||01-04-2003||Bhubaneswar||1. Khurda Road
|4||Eastern Railway||ER||04-1952||Kolkata||1. Howrah-I
7. Kolkata Metro
|5||North Central Railway||NCR||01-04-2003||Allahabad||1. Allahabad
|6||North Eastern Railway||NER||1952||Gorakhpur||1. Izzatnagar
|7||North Western Railway||NWR||01-10-2002||Jaipur||1. Jaipur
|8||Northeast Frontier Railway||NFR||15-01-1958||Guwahati||1. Katihar
|9||Northern Railway||NR||14-04-1952||Baroda House, New Delhi||1. Delhi-I
|10||South Central Railway||SCR||02-10-1966||Secunderabad||1. Secunderabad
|11||South East Central Railway||SECR||01-04-2003||Bilaspur||1. Bilaspur
|12||South Eastern Railway||SER||1955||Kolkata||1. Kharagpur
|13||South Western Railway||SWR||01-04-2003||Hubli||1. Bangalore
|14||Southern Railway||SR||14-04-1951||Chennai||1. Chennai
|15||West Central Railway||WCR||01-04-2003||Jabalpur||1. Jabalpur
|16||Western Railway||WR||05-11-1951||Mumbai||1. Mumbai Central
|17||Kolkata Metro Railway||KNR||30-12-2010||Kolkata||Kolkata|
Some Important Indian Railway Facts
|1||First Passenger Train Ran On||16th April 1853 (between Bombay to Thane)|
|2||Indian Railway’s Fastest Train||Bhopal-Shatabdi (runs at a speed up to 140 Km/ph)|
|3||Oldest Preserved Locomotive||Fairy Queen (1855), still in working order|
|4||Longest Station Name||Sri Venkatanarasimharajuvariapeta (Tamil Nadu)|
|5||Shortest Station Name||Ib Railway station (Orissa)|
|6||First Underground Railway||Calcutta METRO|
|7||First Computerized Reservation System started in||New Delhi (1986)|
|8||Longest Run (Time)||Vivek Express (3715 km in Approx 71 hrs)|
|9||Shortest Run||Route between Nagpur to Ajni (3km)|
|10||First Rail Tunnel||Parsik Tunnel|
|11||Longest Railway Bridge||Nehru Setu on Sone River (10044ft in length)|
|12||the most expensive luxury train in India||Maharaja Express|
|11||Longest Railway Platform in the World||Gorakhpur Junction railway station (1,366.33 m.)|