Types of Computer Network – LAN, MAN and WAN
A network is a group of device (nodes) connected by media links. The links that connect the nodes are called communication channels. Three major types of Computer Network – LAN, MAN and WAN designed to operate over the area they cover. LAN is a campus office or organization based network ,MAN network is extended over an entire city and WAN network is extended over an entire globe.
In other words, a group of computers and associated peripherals connected by a communication channel capable of sharing files and other resources between several users is called network.
Types of Computer Network
Generally there are three types of computer networks based on their size , its ownership , distance it covers and its physical structure .
- Local Area Network (LAN)
- Metropolitan Area Network (MAN)
- Wide area network (WAN)
1. Local Area Network (LAN)
LAN is a communication network used by a single building or organization over a limited distance. The network enables the user to share information and resources. A LAN required that the particular workstation should be physically joint together by cabling and that some network software is on the workstation.
In addition of size, LAN stand apart from other types of networks by their transmission media and topology. In general a given LAN uses only onetype of transmission medium. The most common LAN topologies are Bus, Ring and Star. The data transmission speed in LAN is up to 10 Mbps. LAN uses either Ethernet or Token-ring technology.
Types of Local Area Network (LAN): –There are two different types of LAN:
- Wired LAN: – wired LAN fixed wiring such as twisted pair or coaxial coaxial cable as the transmission.
- Wireless LAN :– wireless LAN utilized radio or light waves. Examples of LAN are:
- LAN permits sharing of expensive hardware.
- It provides high transmission rate to accommodate the needs of both people and equipment.
- It provides very much security and fault tolerance capability.
- LAN provides cost effective multiuser computer environment.
Disadvantage of LAN
- Installation and reconfiguration always requires technical and skilled man power.
- Due to sharing of resource, sometime operation speed may be slow down.
2.Metropolitan Area Network (MAN)
When a LAN uses modems, direct digit devices and any of the media types to connect to a distant LAN, so that it cover a large area than these type of network is Metropolitan Area Network (MAN). In Metropolitan area network various LAN are connected with each other through telephone lines. The size of the Metropolitan area network is larger than LANs and smaller than WANs. MAN is works in between Local Area Network and Wide Area Network.
Generally MAN expands throughout a city such as cable TV network. It can be in form of Ethernet, Token-ring, ATM or FDDI.
Advantages of MAN –
- Any company can connect all its branches existing the same city.
- MAN includes different private LAN connected through cable and router or getaway.
- It is economical because of sharing of costly resources of all branches of company.
Disadvantages of MAN –
- Network installation is difficult and required skilled persons.
- Installation cost is very much.
3.Wide area network (WAN)
When a network grows larger than a MAN then it becomes does a Wide area network. Generally, telecommunication networks are Wide Area Network. These networks provide connectivity to MANs and LANs. The size of the WAN is larger than LAN and MAN. A WAN can cover country, continent or even a whole world. Wants are required for long distance data traffic to connect different countries with the help of network. To use the WAN, we can the following transmission media.
- The public switch telephone network.
- High speed, High Band Width, Leased Circuit.
- High Speed fiber Optic Cable.
- Micro Wave transmission
Types of Wide area network (WAN)
There are two types of WAN :-
- Enterprise Network: – When a network connects a branch offices and divisions, it becomes an Enterprise network.
- Global network: – when a network covers a several countries and contents and includes many types of organizations then it are called global networks.
- WAN has no limit of area, so it is worldwide network.
- WAN can be implement with the help of private networks as well as public network.
- WAN supports Global markets and Global Businesses.
Disadvantages of WAN
- WAN is very big and complex network.
- It is slow speed than LAN and MAN.
- WAN is not very much secured.
- It is very costly because we have to pay every for transferring data.