Block Diagram of Computer and its Various Components
Computer – The word “computer “comes from the word “compute “which means to calculate. So a computer is normally considered to be a calculating device that performs arithmetic operations at enormous speed. A computer is an electronic device which is used to perform operation on raw data as per instruction given by user. They are
1) It accepts data or instructions through input,
2) It stores data,
3) It can process required data by the user,
4) It gives results as production, and
5) It controls all functions inside the computer
Various Components of Computer
Computer is an electronic device which performs tasks given by user with extremely fast speed and accuracy. Like any other device or machine, a computer system has also a number of parts. A computer system can be blocked into mainly three parts:
- Input Unit
- Central Processing Unit
- Output Unit
- It converts inputted data into binary codes.
- It sends data to main memory of computer .
2. Central Processing Unit (CUP) – CPU is called the brain of a computer. An electronic circuitry that carries out the instruction given by a computer program.
CPU can be sub classified into three parts.
i .Control unit (CU)
ii. Arithmetic & Logic unit (ALU)
iii.Memory Unit (MU)
i. Control unit (CU)- the control unit manages the various components of the computer. It reads instructions from memory and interpretation and changes in a series of signals to activate other parts of the computer. It controls and co-ordinate is input output memory and all other units.
ii. Arithmetic & Logic unit (ALU) – The arithmetic logic unit (ALU), which performs simple arithmetic operation such as +,-, *, / and logical operation such as >, <, =<, <= etc.
iii. Memory Unit (MU)- Memory is used to store data and instructions before and after processing. Memory is also called Primary memory or internal memory. It is used to store data temporary or permanently.
Function of CPU-
- It controls all the parts and software and data flow of computer.
- It performs all operations.
- It accepts data from input device.
- It sends information to output device.
- Executing programs stored in memory
- It stores data either temporarily or permanent basis.
- It performs arithmetical and logical operations.
3. Output Unit –Output unit is a unit that constituents a number of output device. An output device is used to show the result of processing.
Function of Output unit:
- it accepts data or information sends from main memory of computer
- It converts binary coded information into HLL or inputted languages.